CONNECTING WITH CONSUMERS VIA TECH
The quintessential London Marathon experience is one of philanthropy, unity, and camaraderie. Training for the London Marathon is not easy. That's why runners in London love to finish their training with a cold pint.
Inspired by the local ritual of runners coming together to enjoy a pint after a hard run, we opened a New Balance branded pub exclusively for runners — where the only currency accepted was miles run.
Through our unique payment system, runners can use the miles they've run to buy ice cold pints.
By joining the challenge on the popular running app Strava, a card is uploaded into the runner’s mobile wallet. As the run progressed, the card filled up with miles that turned into real-time currency.
Runners could scan their cards at New Balance’s Runaway Pub to exchange miles for pints.
Results included a new kind of engagement with New Balance and a rewarding branded experience for consumers.
- 23,110 cards added to mobile wallets
- 532,961 miles run
- 62,672 pints earned
- Gold at New York Festivals AME Awards
- Silver at Jay Chiat Awards
- Winner at Communication Arts Interactive Annual
- Winner of Adweek Project Isaac award
- Two shortlists at Cannes Lions Festival of Creativity
- Two shortlists at Communication Arts Design Show
- Shortlist at Gerety Awards